Sunday, April 15, 2012

Career Plan

My career plan was and still is to be a commercial airline pilot.  Its something that I have wanted to do since I was young, and nothing has changed.  I currently have 230hrs and am currently working on my Commercial Single Engine.  I am planning on having that wrapped up within the next 2 months.  After my commercial I am going to start training for my CFI, once I get my CFI then I will work on getting my Multi.  With the new NPRM for August 2013, requiring an ATP to get hired, I am still up in the air whether I want to flight instruct or find another way to build my time such as banner towing, skydiving etc.  

Once I am able to build enough time, I plan on getting hired by a regional in order to build enough time to get hired by a major.  After doing some research although they require even more time, my goal is to get hired at Shuttle America or Compass Airlines.  These two regional airlines fly Embraer 170 which are very nice aircraft.    Hopefully I wont have to stay with the regional airlines too long, but after the regional I would love to fly for Delta Airlines.  Ever since I was little I wanted to fly for Northwest Airlines, but since they merged with Delta, that will have to do.  Once getting hired with Delta I realize I am going to have to make my way up to the ultimate goal of flying Boeing 777.  Boeing 777 is my favorite airplane and is my ultimate goal to fly one one day.  I enjoy seeing other places and especially other countries, so flying internationally would be a dream come true.  Where I am at in my career is the very beginning, but is a step in the right direction in order to fulfill my childhood dream.      

3 comments:

  1. I am not sure about the hours requirements, and the logging protocols, but here is a thought... Maybe you could get your ratings for flying a regional liner in a developing country such as China, and build up hours that way. Then when you have plenty of hours logged and experience too, then you could be a pilot at Delta while you are relatively young still. Not sure how feasible that is, but it is a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are opportunities out there even for the low timers of 300 in the US and international if you are feeling adventurous. They may not be as glorious as some positions such as a contact or and equivalent there of but its definitely an option for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am with you about feeling indecisive about whether I want to find a job flight instructing first or really try for something else, although I know instructing is highly likely. The 777 is an awesome airplane and an excellent goal to have. The best of luck to you on one day flying it!

    ReplyDelete